JACKSON TOWNSHIP VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT NO. 1 - STATION 55 - JACKSON NEW JERSEY
Prior to 1950 Jackson Township was home to rural communities all along hyson road and bennetts mills road. The area at that time was all agricultural, mostly chicken farmers. With an approximate population of 2500 people being Jackson Residents. The only fire protection in the area was Freehold Fire Dept. Adelphia Fire Dept. Howell Fire Dept. and Lakewood Fire Dept. Along with neighboring community Departments - (Jackson Mills Est. 1930 and Cassville Est. 1939)
The Jackson Twp. Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 was chartered on March 3'rd 1951. It was originally named the "Hulses Corner Fire Company" and was located on Brooks Road (now North New Prospect near the I- 195 Overpass.) Adequate manpower and membership was established from the local farmers, and in 1961 - 11 Members joined together and leveraged their own money and houses as collateral, to purchase the land and building we occupy to this day. Thanks to those founding members the Volunteer Company owns and operates the main station at 113 North New Prospect Road on their own accord.
Over the following years developers began to come down and develop much of the once agricultural area. This included Robin Estates, Edgewood, Brookwood, Lafyette Park, Harfield, Pennat Club or Regency Club Apts. Woodmere and Pineview Apts. Eventually, overtime Jackson Twp. became to be known as a bedroom community, thus eventually leaving minimal or no manpower for fire suppression during the day. In 1971 the Jackson Township Fire District # 3 Board of Fire Commissioners hired a paid driver, thus becoming a combination department. Also in 1971 the Substation (55-1) was constructed at the Kierch Memorial Drive Location. Today we continue to have a combination Career Department which currently employs 12 Full time Firefighter/ EMT's. But the root of the Volunteer has not died, today our Department is lucky to have close to 50 Volunteer Firefighters on the rolls to continue making history for years to come.
Jackson Township is divided into 4 districts, and uses the Ocean County Numbering system for stations, apparatus and personnel. Jackson Township Vol. Fire Company No. 1 - Station 55 is dedicaited to providing exceptional fire protection to Jackson Fire District # 3 and all surrounding Mutual aid Companies and Departments.
Our Primary Response area is the Northeastern part of Jackson Township. It is the smallest in land area, yet most heavily developed, highly populated, and is covered by approx 95% Hydrants.
Our District Boundaries include the following:
To the North - Freehold Township Line
To the Northeast : Metedeconk River
To The East : Howell Township Line
To the Southeast : Lakewood Township Line
We also respond mutual aid to all requests for manpower or apparatus needed. This includes ALL of Jackson Township, Howell Township, Lakewood Township, Toms River Township, and Freehold Township.
Rest assured whatever the call is, Jackson Twp. Vol. Fire Co. # 1 Station 55 Officers and Members are ready to answer the call.